Pages

Friday 8 August 2014

We Were Liars -book review

This book is about the last glow of the sunset.
It's about the cinders dancing from the fire.
It's about the smell of rain on the pavement.


From the reviews I've seen of this book there is only one rule, if someone asks how it ends, just lie.
We Were Liars is one of two books that I chose to buy after watching Essie Button's Easy Reads video with Sanne from BooksandQuills. They made it sound so intriguing that I couldn't not read it..and now that I have I want to read it again..so not only do I have it on iBooks..I also bought a paperback version online and can't wait to re-read it!

The book is about a distinguished "perfect" family, their private island, and the whole thing is a huge mystery, but not just for the reader.
The narrator, Cadence, is as in the dark as her audience and she had me hooked.
There are clues along the way but you don't always notice them until you look back and I really don't want to give too much away but I will tell you this, I was reading this in the bus station after work one day and one of the issues with reading on an iPad is that you don't have the feel of the thickness of the book to let you know how much is left..one minute I was casually reading and the next I was in tears in the middle of town..not just little tears from the corner of my eye...but floods of tears..in public...
The intense desire of needing to know the ending meant that I wanted to read it all in one go..yet the fact that I was enjoying it so much meant that I wanted to savour it and enjoy it slowly, it was like eating an amazing chocolate cake that you were tasting for the first time, and you know you want to eat the whole thing but at the same time you want to experience it all properly the first time..an odd comparison maybe?
I fell for the characters, I felt their happiness and their anxiety, their sadness and their confusion.
E.Lockheart had me gripped and I urge you to go and read this book, it is now one of my favourite books of all time and I really truly cannot recommend it enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik